Medical Grade Silicone Rubber ( VMQ )
High purity, biocompatible compounds
- Broad operating temperatures from -50 °C to +250 °C / -58 °F to +482 °F
- Hardness from 10 to 80 Shore A
- Consistent mechanical properties from -45 °C to + 180 °C / -49 °F to +356 °F
- Good chemical resistance in a wide range of media
- Excellent heat resistance, dielectric strength and cold flexibility
- Neutral in taste and odor
- Good electrical and mechanical dampening properties
- Excellent weather and UV resistance, hydrophobic
- Sterilizable: γ-radiation, steam, EtO
- No toxic combustion products
- Biocompatibility – non-allergenic
Typical Healthcare & Medical Applications:
Respiratory care product, inhalers, infusion therapy, drug delivery systems, peristaltic pump sets, diabetes care, dental care devices, medical devices, diagnostic equipment, blood dialysis, catheters, disposable fluid transfer manifolds and closure assemblies, breastfeeding.
Engineered molded parts, O-Rings, hose, tube, tube sets and connections, sheet, bellows, static seals, gaskets, membranes, septa, plugs, silicone-to-plastic bonded and silicone-to-metal bonded components, and more.
Types of Silicone
There are principally two types of Silicone:
- HCR – High Consistency Rubber, formulated with either peroxide cured systems or platinum cured systems
- LSR – Liquid Silicone Rubber, formulated with platinum cured systems
Trelleborg Sealing Solutions offers a comprehensive portfolio of standard and proprietary grades within both categories. These cover a broad range of products and processes to suit specific market and application requirements.
For healthcare and medical and other specialized industries, Trelleborg Sealing Solutions offers a full range of materials with respective approvals and compliances, such as:
- FDA §177.2600
- USP (US Pharmacopeia)
- EP (European Pharmacopeia)
- ISO-10993 Biocompatibility
- WRAS, KTW, NSF, and more
Trelleborg Sealing Solutions offers extensive silicone processing, extrusion and molding capabilities with cleanrooms to meet the special cleanliness demands of industries such as life sciences, food and beverage processing. All life sciences facilities are certified to the quality standards of ISO 13485.
Silicone rubber is an inorganic synthetic elastomer made from a cross linked silicone-based polymer reinforced with filler. It offers a unique combination of chemical and mechanical properties as compared to organic elastomers. Silicone is used across a wide array of applications and industries. Its inherent purity, inertness and biocompatibility make silicone the preferred choice of elastomer in the biomedical, pharmaceutical and healthcare industries.